Thursday 4 October 2012

Visiting Jindabyne, a Small Town in the Snowy Mountains


If not because of attending an interview for a snow job, I think visiting this town wouldn’t be part of my plan. I tried in vain searching on the information about the possible ways going there as I didn’t have a car. In fact, I could hardly find any public transport available connect to Jindabyne unless in winter.

Fortunately, a friend of mine reminded me that he has a car and he didn’t mind to take me there. In the morning we drove from the place I lived in Yenda and we passed other small towns before we reached Canberra.

On the way heading to Canberra
 
Capital city - Canberra

I didn’t hear much about Canberra from other backpackers as the capital city was not a travel destination for most of them. I think Canberra is a clean and organized city but it’s not as crowded as in Sydney. We merely did some shopping in one of the shopping centers before we took another 2 ½ hours continue our journey to the small town, Jindabyne. 

We spent a night at Snowy Mountains Backpackers . Although it’s just a budget hostel, it’s well worth mentioning here because of the great location as well as the clean and cozy condition. I felt like home. Jindabyne is majorly for skiers in winter. Nonetheless, you still can go for some other adventure activities such as whitewater rafting and mountain biking if you come in other seasons.
 
After the interview I attended was over, we explored around the town and paid a visit to Snowy Region Visitor Centre at Kosciouszko Road.
 
Jindabyne Visitor Centre


Shopping hub of the town

Travellers were having drinks in front of a cafe

Not far from the hub, we had a relaxing walk along the Jindabyne Lake. Sit back and relax, we enjoyed the calming atmosphere very much.
 
One of the great walks in Jindabyne
 
Lake Jindabyne
 
Strzelecki Statue in front of Lake Jindabyne

 That day was actually my friend’s birthday, so I surprised him with a cake and we enjoyed it before we left the town :P

1 comment: